Code For NonGeek
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Write a program to determine if a binary tree is well ordered

2 posters

Go down

Write a program to determine if a binary tree is well ordered Empty Write a program to determine if a binary tree is well ordered

Post  Admin Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:27 pm

public static boolean judge(TreeNode root){
if(root==null)
return false;
if(root.left){
if(root.left.value>=root.value)
return false;
judge(root.left);
}
if(root.right){
if(root.right.value<=root.value)
return false;
judge(root.right);
}
return true;
}

Code from CareerCup:

boolean verifyBST(Node* aNode)
{
if((aNode->left) && (aNode->left->value > aNode->value))
return false;
if((aNode->right) && (aNode->right->value < aNode->value))
return false;

if(!(aNode->left&&aNode->right)) return true;
else {
if(verifyBST(aNode->left) && verifyBST(aNode->right))
return true;
else
return false;
}
}

Admin
Admin

https://codefornongeek.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Write a program to determine if a binary tree is well ordered Empty Re: Write a program to determine if a binary tree is well ordered

Post  viterbi Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:35 pm

I assume by CareerCup, you mean the website, not the book, right?

Anyway, both solutions are very wrong. Actually, in my third round Amazon phone interview, I made the same mistake and was rejected. Shocked Sad Sad

Please think for a moment why it is wrong.

viterbi

Back to top Go down

Write a program to determine if a binary tree is well ordered Empty Re: Write a program to determine if a binary tree is well ordered

Post  Admin Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:34 am

I have checked the second code and did not consider the aNode is NULL case
Here is the revised version:

boolean verifyBST(Node* aNode){
if(aNode==null)
return true;
if((aNode->left) && (aNode->left->value > aNode->value))
return false;
if((aNode->right) && (aNode->right->value < aNode->value))
return false;

if(!(aNode->left&&aNode->right)) return true;
else {
if(verifyBST(aNode->left) && verifyBST(aNode->right))
return true;
else
return false;
}
}

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:38 am

Revise for the first code:

public static boolean judge(TreeNode root){
if(root==null)
return true;
if(root.left){
if(root.left.value>=root.value)
return false;
}

if(root.right){
if(root.right.value<=root.value)
return false;
}

if(judge(root.left)&&judge(root.right))
return true;
else
return false;
}

Check me if I'm wrong study

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  viterbi Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:20 am

No, the error is not some corner cases. There are more fundamental problems there. Think about the definition of BST.

viterbi

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:54 am

Is that all the node in left tree are smaller than the root node, and all the node in right tree are bigger than the root node?

viterbi wrote:No, the error is not some corner cases. There are more fundamental problems there. Think about the definition of BST.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  viterbi Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:40 pm

OK. I will give more hint. Think: is this a BST?

|\
10 18
|\
8 17

What will the answer of your program?

Admin wrote:Is that all the node in left tree are smaller than the root node, and all the node in right tree are bigger than the root node?

viterbi wrote:No, the error is not some corner cases. There are more fundamental problems there. Think about the definition of BST.

viterbi

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:45 pm

Yes, that is what I mean, the left tree has node greater than the root, so it is not BST

viterbi wrote:OK. I will give more hint. Think: is this a BST?

|\
10 18
|\
8 17

Admin wrote:Is that all the node in left tree are smaller than the root node, and all the node in right tree are bigger than the root node?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  viterbi Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:54 am

But your program will return true.

Admin wrote:Yes, that is what I mean, the left tree has node greater than the root, so it is not BST

|\
10 18
|\
8 17

viterbi

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:54 pm

We can implement a in-order-traversal to list all elements in an array and to judge whether the array is in ascending order.

Time complexity O(n)
Space complexity O(n)

Check me if I'm wrong

viterbi wrote:But your program will return true.

Admin wrote:Yes, that is what I mean, the left tree has node greater than the root, so it is not BST

|\
10 18
|\
8 17

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  viterbi Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:31 pm

This is correct, but it need an additional array, right?

Admin wrote:We can implement a in-order-traversal to list all elements in an array and to judge whether the array is in ascending order.

Time complexity O(n)
Space complexity O(n)

Check me if I'm wrong

viterbi wrote:But your program will return true.

|\
10 18
|\
8 17

viterbi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down